Sunday 13 September 2015

A Good Name

Hi and welcome back,

In today's post, I would like to talk a bit about my name, what is its significance and how this reflects over my identity. How many of you have heard before the phrase "do you know what your name means?" or "did you know that your name means...(something)" in a certain language? Well, this has happened to me before and I still find it an interesting subject of conversation, not only because it enriches my knowledge but also because I have the chance to compare the certain attributions related to a name with the actual behavior of the "owner". To begin, let me tell you some things about my name. The equivalent of this name in English is Andrew and it is the derived name from the Greek name "Andreas". According to Greek language, Andreas means man or manly but it can also be interpreted as strong, powerful, courageous and so on, all being considered characteristics of a fighter since in the past, Greeks have been known as being a warrior nation. However, as the years passed, the name has started to spread as well in other countries, some of them being English speaking countries/regions, where it took the mentioned form Andrew, and also in regions like Italy where the name derived into Andrea. In some countries, Romania being also one of them, the name Andrea is used as a girl's name. So, to summarize, the name Andrei is carrying with it the expected characteristics of a warrior: manly, courageous , powerful and fighter. It is also said that people with the name Andrei grow up being able to get out of many unfamiliar situations and acting according mainly to their intuition. In the Christian religion, Andrew/Andrei was one of the twelve apostles and he is also referred to as Saint Andrew (or Saint Andrei) being considered the protector of several countries as Greece, Romania, Russia, Ukraine and others. I think that the characteristics attributed to my name are at some degree reflecting over my personality, since in general I like to fight for what I want to achieve and sometimes I need to act based on my intuition even if I don't always like to rely entirely on it. I think that in most of the time I am able to get out of unfamiliar situations in a way or another and this would be another characteristic that comes with my name and that reflects over my identity. As for my second name, I am not entirely sure of the meaning (if any). The only information related to this name is that it has Greek origins and that people with names which were ending in "idi" or "idids" were generally living next to or in the vicinity of the Black Sea and they were called Pontic Greeks or Pontian Greeks.
This is all about my name, where it started, how it varies depending on cultures or countries where it appears, its meaning and how it reflects over my identity. My name, is a good name.
So, have you ever thought of the meaning of your name? If not, maybe you should give it a go! Your name could be a good name and you may not realize it yet.

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your new blog post. Learning a bit more about you, as well as a names history, and how it applies to your identity. It would have been nice to see your perception of your name and if you could have created a personal definition of your name. All in all another great post.

    ReplyDelete